Wednesday, December 28, 2016

2016...our year in review


To our friends and family at the closing of 2016,

Winter in Buxton, England 2016
How might we highlight this year? We will both give some of our thoughts and feelings this year. 

Fun in Chiapas
For me it has been another year of personal growth and great “one day at a time” experiences. We began the year in Europe (Spain, England and Portugal) and enjoyed the varied cultural experiences. Most of you have followed the blog posts on the details so no need for that here. The big thing I did realize during that time was that travel is another creative endeavor for both of us. The planning and executing of our trips and what we do daily to connect with art, music, visual experiences and the internal creative growth that comes from experiencing other cultures, people and customs is very rewarding to me. Following Europe brought us back to Mexico – first to San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas and later to San Miguel de Allende. 

Our garden in San Cris
Chiapas has become a very special place for both of us. For me it is a chance to focus on myself as we have less volunteer and social engagements. I spend time with yoga and with Richard who has time for Tai Chi and meditation. We both had time to draw in our art journal books and had several visitors. With these visitors we get a chance to see the special sights and indigenous communities and re-experience the things we have loved about Chiapas since our first visit. Happily we will return in Feb 2017.

Summer at Silver Bay with
Vogel Family
The places we call home – San Miguel de Allende and USA (North Carolina) followed and it is in both of these places that we have our communities. I am happy to say that I have kept my connections in the USA even though we spend more time each year in Mexico. 

Indian dinner with Rosey in Chapel Hill

Summer in a doll house with Sophia
People are so important to both of us. I feel that I am becoming more and more introverted each year as I find the need to spend time with myself but it does not exclude the importance of connecting with YOU, our “peeps”. I think that we came close to seeing most of the important people in our lives and if we did not see you last year, perhaps it will be this year.
Trying paddleboarding at
Lake George, NY


Fall brought us back to SMA and here is where we will finish this year. Our program “Libros para Todos” had another very successful year in November and I am proud that I was a founder of this program and now able to step back a little as others are taking it on.
Libros para Todos 2016
September at Iyengar yoga
convention in Monterrey, MX 
International Yoga Day,
San Miguel de Allende
Yes this is me, hanging
from the ropes in San Cris
26 years together
My gratitude is great as we come upon our 26th anniversary (Dec 30th) and close to 30 years together. I cannot imagine a better life than one that is shared with my friend and partner Ricardo. I also am grateful to have my good health as I just completed 70 years and the amazing opportunities that we have to experience life in way that we have intentionally chosen. I would be remiss not to mention the sadness and anxiety that has come with the election in the USA and I only hope and pray that somehow the two sides of this divide will find ways to communicate and try to understand each other to work towards peace in the world.

Once again, I am grateful to all of you – our family and friends who travel this technological world with us.

Happy New Year and Feliz Año Nuevo to all,
Susanita


2016 a year of growth and travel.

Buxton, England 2016 and hopefully
again in 2017
The more I see of the world the more I come to believe that there are no borders except for the ones that we are told exist which I believe, are rooted in prejudice.  I feel very lucky to have come to this point in my life where all of us are equal and can celebrate the holiday season as a gift for all.

River walk in Chiapas
TierrAdentro breakfast in San Cristobal de las Casas
This year we have traveled to many different places and many were repeats. Traveling like we do helps me to see the subtle differences in cultures and how people interact within these differences.  This has given me a mirror to project my own beliefs that have been conditioned since childhood.  I'm not the same person and I wonder how I will be in a year from now.  These differences are beautiful to behold and when the opportunity to share them with others arises it's like starting life anew. The joy of travel is such a gift that keeps on giving through direct experiences with others and the memories that will last a lifetime. I have found some special places in the world this year that maybe have been a part of my past lives,. These places may not work for everyone but for me I hope to return to them again and again.  I loved Cabo de Gato and Granda in Spain; Porto in Portugal; San Cristobal de las Casas in Chiapas, Mexico and Buxton, England to name a few.
Picnic in Chiapas with
 Maria Elena & Tomy
I am hoping to find many more places that bring this type of charm. 

Veggie b-b-q with Stephan on LI
Susan and I are like vagabundos now roaming to different locations as the time permits, meeting new people and getting to share our thoughts, beliefs and especially having shared laughs together.

I am wishing you all a great New Year and as always I'm sending my love.

Ricardo





















No comments:

Post a Comment