Friday, October 30, 2009

October 30 - another wonderful week in San Miguel






It has been quite an interesting week for us. We've had many moments to think about my dad and of course the outpouring of emails to us is very warming to our hearts. Most of you have read the wonderful obituary in the Washington Post this week which really captured the heart of who Erwin was. I am very proud to be his daughter and proud that he was my father. I hope I got all his best genes. He shall live on in our memory. As we are here in Mexico we are coming up on the big celebration of Dia de las Muertos (Day of the Dead) and I am doing everything that the Mexicans do to celebrate and make our home ready for a visit from my dad. You will see a picture of the many booths of little hand made candy sculptures to represent foods, icons, skeletons, caskets, etc. More on this in the next blog.

This week we both finished our second paintings - this taking the last 4 weeks to finish with our excellent teacher Lilianna Zuppini. We'll start a new one next week. I will let you guess which of us did which one!

I also treated myself to a private yoga class with the workshop teacher from CA who was here last weekend when I went to Maryland. She has helped me to create a practice for myself at home and demonstrated and photographed each posture so that I can remember the details when I get home.

Lastly, I am winding down from my 2 1/2 weeks of spanish classes and I must say, I have come a long way (with even longer to go!) I have several hours of homework for each class and have been keeping up with it. I have met a few wonderful people in the class and this past Wednesday we had a fun party at the home of the teacher and his wife - Warren and Tula Hardy.

Tonight we are off to a lecture about Dia de las Muertos and the integration of the indigenous culture with the catholic culture of Mexico. I included the picture of the delicious cappucini that I often get in one of our favorite breakfast spots \ Cafe Juan where Ricardo has his spanish conversation class on Tuesday and Thursdays.
Haste luega y amor,

1 comment:

  1. I was sorry to hear about your dad.

    Your photos are beautiful

    - David Z in Chapel Hill

    ReplyDelete